We're on Facebook! For pictures, updates, information on upcoming events, and to leave us your comments, visit our page at https://www.facebook.com/LeagueOfWomenVotersElmhurstIl.
Non-Partisan Voters Guide
All candidates eligible to participate in our Candidate Forum held on February 12, 2017, were asked to write answers to a group of League-formulated questions. These answers are published on our online Voters Guide to assist voters in choosing the best person for the job. To view the Voters Guide, click HERE.
Watch this space for the video of the Candidate Forum, which will also be broadcast on the various cable stations.
Mark Your Calendar!
* Thursday, February 23, 2017, 7 pm in the Kossmann Room at the Elmhurst Public Library: League of Women Voters of Illinois Program Planning. Program planning is the process which culminates in the adoption of program items at the 2017 LWVIL Convention. With input from local Leagues, LWVIL will have a viable and action-oriented program to move its public policy influence forward in Illinois. For more information and links to resources, please go to LWVIL's webpage at http://www.lwvil.org/program-planning.html.
* Thursday, March 23, 7 pm at the Elmhurst Public Library -- Regular General Meeting: Meredith Kober at NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness) in Wheaton will be speaking about what services are available in DuPage County for those who may need it.
* TUESDAY, APRIL 4 -- ELECTION DAY! GO VOTE!
* Thursday, April 27, 7 pm at the Elmhurst Public Library -- Celebration of the ten-year anniversary of the Elmhurst Cool Cities Coalition. Co-sponsored by the Cool Cities Coaility, the program is entitled The Problem with Food Waste, and How You Can Help Solve It! Kay McKeen from School & Community Assistance for Recycling and Composting Education( SCARCE) will be one of the speakers. Also planned is a speaker from Elmhurst College to address the college's food scrap collection in the dining hall, and the food recovery program that donates uneaten food to charities.
* Tuesday, May 2, Annual Meeting at Manny's Ale House -- Social Hour begins at 6:30 pm. Business meeting begins at 7 pm.
** To learn about our recent and future activities, view our newsletter, The Voter at http://lwvelmhurst.org/Voter_Holiday_Edition_2016.pdf
Sisters Across the Straits
Registration is now open until February 22, 2017 to join this delegation May 22-28 to visit and experience Cuba. Organized by the LWV Florida beginning in 2011, LWV members will travel with to Cuba to meet Cuba's community leaders, entrepreneurs, university faculty, artists, and others. Delegation members will also meet with counterparts and participate in honest dialogue in order to learn about the role of Cuban men and women in society and explore differences as well as similarities. The aim is to end decades of isolation by building trust and improving relations among people.
The cost of this trip to Cuba has been reduced by ~$400!
Single: $4,738 (Previously $5,168)
Double: $4,059 (Previously $4,444)
All prices quoted are per traveler.
* Orientation dinner in Miami before departure
* Airfare to & from Cuba
* Transportation to scheduled events via air-conditioned motor-coach
* All lodging in Cuba
* Admission to all museums and activities on the itinerary
* Some meals, and more!
For more information about this unique opportunity, visit the LWV Florida's website at http://thefloridavoter.org/trips-events-listing/travel-to-cuba/.
One Earth Film Festival
For the third consecutive year, Elmhurst Cool Cities Coalition (ECCC) and Elmhurst College are partnering with the One Earth Film Festival (OEFF). The Festival features compelling environmental films and engaging programming designed to bring about an understanding of climate change, sustainability, and the power of people. Cool Cities will be screening Time To Choose on Sunday, March 5th, at Schaible Science Center, Elmhurst College. Please note that the 1 p.m. screening has been sold out. The organizers, however, have added another showing on the same date at 10 a.m. For tickets, go to http://www.oneearthfilmfest.org/2017-films-az/. For more information, you may view the event flyer HERE.
Time to Choose addresses the challenges of climate change and our race against the clock to implement solutions. Oscar-winning documentary director Charles Ferguson looks at the threats we face as well as the stories of innovators, leaders and average citizens fighting on the front lines for a cleaner, more sustainable world. To view the movie trailer copy and paste the following web address into your browser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5YjLw7inIw. At the conclusion of the movie, a moderator-led discussion will take place. Total program length is 2 hours.
This event is free. A donation of $6 is suggested.
To view the election results of races of concern to DuPage County citizens, go to the DuPage County Election Commission's website at http://www.dupageco.org/ElectionResults/
ATTENTION MEMBERS: Volunteers needed for our Observer Corps
Monitoring our local governments by attending their meetings in order to provide our members -- and the public -- with reports of the meetings is an invaluable service provided by the League. We are building up our Observer Corps, but we need your help! There are still many government meetings for which we have no observer.
If you are interested in attending and observing our local government meetings as a member of the Observer Corps, please do the following:
You may also email Becky with any questions you might have.
- Click here for the spreadsheet listing meetings through November of 2016.
- Add your name to the meeting for which you are able attend, observe and provide a report.
- Send an email to our Observer Director, Becky Lipton, at email@example.com to let her know which meetings you will be able to attend.
Thank you for your consideration!
What's going on with other Local Leagues?
To view news from the Glen Ellyn League, the Naperville League, and the Wheaton League, go to their recent issues of their newsletters:
Glen Ellyn League's January 2017 edition of The Voter, can be found at https://www.dropbox.com/s/cs4s4ngpypiirby/current_voter.pdf?dl=0
Wheaton League's link to its October 2016 issue of The Voter, can be found athttp://us11.campaign-archive1.com/?u=a3201292146ef49428132b05f&id=1a98d3322c&e=ed874e8451
Naperville League's link to its latest newsletter, The Naperville Voter, can be found at http://www.lwvnaperville.org/newsletter.html
Car Pool/Ride Share
Do you need a ride or want to carpool to a League
event? Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
To view pictures of highlights from our government meetings taken by members of our Observer Corps, including the recognition of individuals/groups, go to our "A Peek from the Observer's Seat" page.