Elmhurst Cool Cities Pledge
I believe in the goals of the Cool Cities Coalition to reduce
Carbon Dioxide (CO2) emissions to protect our environment.
I support the City of Elmhurst taking the lead by implementing
action plans for Green Vehicle Fleets, Energy Efficiency,
and Renewable Energy.
I believe that it is also the responsibility of every citizen
to protect the environment. I, therefore, pledge to further
our commitment to the environment by adding 3 or more of the
following actions each year.
Use Less Gasoline
- Carpool whenever possible
- Ride bike or walk short distances
- Check tire pressure monthly and keep at optimal pressure for better gas mileage
- Turn off car ignition when stopped or parked for more than 30 seconds
- If you have more than one car, always drive the most fuel-efficient car
- When buying a new car, only consider the most fuel-efficient cars and especially hybrid electric vehicles (HEVs)
- Buy energy efficient appliances and unplug appliances when not in use
- Replace at least 3 incandescent bulbs with compact florescent light (CFL) bulbs
- Wash laundry in cold or warm water
- Install a low-flow showerhead and turn off water when brushing teeth
- Turn off all lights when not in use
- Dial the heater/AC down 2 degrees in winter and up 2 degrees in summer
- Turn off oven 10 to 15 minutes before cooking time runs out; food will continue to cook without using the extra electricity
Take the Cool
Cities Pledge today!
- Use human powered lawn mowers whenever possible
- Use solar powered outdoor lights
- Learn how to support renewable energy through renewable energy brokers or Tradable Renewable Energy Certificates (www.green-e.org)
- Plant a tree or a shrub
Return to the Homepage of the Elmhurst League of Women Voters